Thursday, October 31, 2013

Mobile phone segment on Butterfield Horse


My students and I have been thinking about how to develop effective segments for our outdoor art and landscape tour of campus. We do want the audio pieces to be a little wacky and unexpected, to get our auditors to experience art and landscape sites in new ways.  We've been talking about how to vary tone, to use humor, or startling juxtapositions, to shake things up a little bit.

I've tried my hand at this, with a segment about Deborah Butterfield's cast bronze sculpture, Wickiup, on the southwestern edge of campus. Like many of her horse sculptures, the piece appears to be made out of drift wood; it was cast at a foundry in Walla Walla and is installed as a long term loan here at Central. I've heen thinking we might do a series of audio pieces on this intriguing work.



A sign would list the phone number of the tour and list the prompt numbers to enter.

In this little piece, at:

https://sites.google.com/site/auslandermediafiles/audio/HorseButterfield2.mp3

I try to imagine what the horse might be thinking, standing out there between the campus buildings. I try for some humor mixed with an elegiac tone--- still trying to get this right, and it might work better if one of our theater colleagues performed the script instead.

You can access it through a phone line at  (509) 350-5040.   Enter 113, followed by the pound sign (#)

Still working on the audio levels. I've recorded the piece digitally on computer and then uploaded it to the Guide by Cell server. The other option is just to call the recording via telephone, using a land line.  That might work better, since then one doesn't have to worry about compression ratios.

I'm eager to see what the students in my Exhibiting Nature seminar, as well the Theater and Performance studies grad students, come up with for this experimental audio tour!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete